Wednesday 16 May 2012

CHIVES

We picked and dehydrated all the chives that were ready this week. I tried to dry them two different ways. First, in whole sprigs...just put into the dehydrator, and let it do it's work. Then, I decided to try cutting the chives into small bits, and place them onto some parchment paper (with holes poked thru it) one one rack of the dehydrator. This is the way I will do all the remaining chives. They dried quicker, and more evenly than leaving them whole.  I started this process indoors, but the onion aroma quickly changed my mind, and I moved the dehydrator outside.
 
When everything was dried, I put the chives into my small food processor, with just a sprinkle of coarse sea salt, and pulsed it into coarse "powder".  I'll be using this in egg dishes, mixed into sour cream, mashed potatos, meats, or anywhere I want a light onion flavor. We ended up with the two small jars in the last photo. I plan on using the dehydrator a lot more this summer. Upcoming uses will be for dill, oregano, thyme, basil, strawberries, carrot slices, and more.

No comments:

Post a Comment